Shirebrook Stun Bolsover With Late Turnaround

Shirebrook Town progressed to the Second Round of the DCFA Senior Challenge Cup after scoring twice in a dramatic end to their tie with FC Bolsover.

Match Report by Jamie Griffiths
Match Photography by James Williamson

Kieran Watson was the hero for the hosts as he grabbed a brace late on, when FC Bolsover seemed set for the second round following a stunning strike from Callum Wood.

There was a high tempo to the game from the first whistle with both sides going full throttle looking to win, making it a fascinating game.

The first major chance of the game came after 17 minutes, as FC Bolsover’s Josh Parfitt burst down the right and stung the hands of the home keeper, Warren Squires, who did well to push the ball away to safety.

Squires was again called into action soon after, denying Bolsover the lead by getting down low to get a strong hand to the ball as it was sent towards the bottom corner.

Bolsover continued to have the better chances in a tight contest, being thwarted by Squires once more before seeing an effort crash against the post as Grant Mitchell surged through on goal down the left.

Shirebrook had found clear cut chances hard to come by at this point, but almost went ahead after half an hour as Watson saw his effort from range tipped over by Simon Dye. The resulting corner was then headed wide.

Both sides were to go close to breaking the deadlock before half time. Firstly Shirebrook’s Mark Robinson was denied by a good save from Dye after cutting in from the right, before Bolsover’s Josh Scully tried his luck from distance, narrowly going over the bar.

Half Time: Shirebrook Town 0 FC Bolsover 0

The second half continued as the first ended, with both sides playing with pace and purpose.

Bolsover went close twice in quick succession after the break, firstly being denied by a strong save by Squires before Josh Parfitt fired wide from the edge of the box moments later.

Shirebrook had a great chance to go in front in an end to end game when Tate Clarke smashed a freekick into the box from the left, but no one could get a touch on the ball which surely would have seen them take the lead.

But it was Bolsover who got the game’s first goal and in spectacular fashion too. Callum Wood picked up the ball just a few yards into Shirebrook’s half before driving forward and picking out the top right hand corner from distance.

As the clock ticked on, it looked like that piece of quality was going to be the difference between the two sides. But that wasn’t the case.

Step up Watson. The Striker had been denied earlier on in the match, but he made his mark in the last few minutes of the game.

In the 88th minute Shirebrook broke behind the defence, working the ball through the inside right channel and drawing the keeper out in order to close down the angle. Substitute Jermaine Jatau, managed to look up and square the ball across the six yard box to Watson who, under pressure, slotted the ball into the back of the net.

But the drama wasn’t over just yet. Shirebrook seemed to find an extra gear after that goal, and they turned the game on its head when Watson chased a through ball into the box, nicked it past the advancing keeper and smashed the ball high into the net in added time.

That late goal sealed Shirebrook’s place in the second round, where they will now face New Mills at home.

Bolsover may be disappointed at exiting the cup in the First Round, but credit must go to both sides as they put on a great display for their supporters and for the DCFA Tie of the Round.

Full Time: Shirebrook Town 2 FC Bolsover 1