Cutthorpe Crowned 2017-18 DCFA Sunday Junior Cup Champions

Cutthorpe Cup Champions!

Cutthorpe defeated Brampton 4-2 to be crowned DCFA Sunday Junior Cup Champions.

Match Photographer: James Williamson
Match Highlights Courtesy of In-Play Sports
Match Report by Jamie Griffiths

Hat-trick hero Jamie Jackson earned the match ball and his team some silverware as he played a vital role in helping Cutthorpe CC to beat Brampton Moor Rovers in the DCFA Sunday Junior Cup Final at South Normanton Athletic FC.
The game, which contained six goals, started brightly with Brampton’s Liam Milner prodding the ball wide at the back post following a corner from the right.

A few minutes later, Brampton’s early pressure was rewarded when Sam Gilthorpe cut inside from the right and unleashed a low drive past the diving keeper and into the bottom right hand corner.

Cutthorpe - who are second, one place below Brampton in the Chesterfield Sunday League NAPIT Division 3 – stepped up their game and came close just four minutes later. A free kick from 25 yards, left of centre, was fired over the wall and bounced in front of the keeper at his near post. He did well to push the ball away but it fell straight to a Cutthorpe player, who rounded the keeper and saw his effort blocked on the line and cleared.

The men in yellow came close moments later but was denied by Liam Neath once more, as he tipped over a long range effort.

Again Cutthorpe came forward but another chance went begging as Daniel Keenan skewed an effort wide of the left hand post when well placed on the edge of the box.

He didn’t need to worry though, as minutes later they were level. After Cutthorpe won a free kick for a late challenge 20 yards out, Keenan curled a right footed shot over the wall and into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Brampton looked to respond immediately but Sam Gilthorpe could only curl an effort wide when found inside the box after good work from Joe Bayne down the left.

Cutthorpe continued to look dangerous in the final third and was only denied by the inside of the post when Daniel Keenan skipped away from a couple of defenders and beat the keeper with his effort.

Keenan was key to each move for Cutthorpe and caused problems with another free kick which was punched away at the near post by Liam Neath under pressure.

A twist was to come before the break however, as Brampton, who had withstood a flurry of attacks, won a penalty for an alleged push in the box. Joe Bayne put the ball on the spot and tucked it away, putting to the keepers left.

Half Time: Brampton Moor Rovers 2 Cutthorpe CC 1

Cutthorpe quickly got on the front foot after the break and came close to an equaliser when Wayne Garrity's effort was blocked at the back post following a low cross from Keenan.

They then quickly made their first change of the game with Jamie Jenkinson replacing David Brent.

Cutthorpe finally managed to get their equaliser on the hour mark when Jamie Jackson rose highest in the box to head in at the back post.

After Brampton made their first change, with Callum Dovison replacing Joe Bayne, they nearly went in front for a third time but Sam Gilthorpe's acrobatic effort flew wide of the right hand post.

Cutthorpe managed to turn the game on its head soon after when Jackson showed his quality by cutting inside his defender on the right, jinking into the box and chipping the ball over the hand of the advancing keeper.

Brampton came close when a corner into the box caused a scramble, only for Louie Kirstenson to hold onto the ball under pressure from Sam Bayne, before both sides made changes. Firstly Brampton with Roberto Marchetta replacing Paul Milburn and then with Aaron Montague replacing Bayne, and Cutthorpe bringing off goalscorer Daniel Keenan for Louie Keenan.

The turnaround was completed just a few minutes from time when Jackson, deservedly, claimed the match ball. The ball was played across the box to find Jackson unmarked on the right; he took a touch to control the ball before calmly chipping the ball over the keeper and into the net.

Cutthorpe made their final change, with Daniel Bradbury leaving the field for Mark Revill, before seeing the game out to seal an impressive comeback and cup win.

Full Time: Brampton Moor Rovers 2 Cutthorpe CC 4

Related Match Reports

View All