DCFA Senior Challenge Cup 17-18 Final

Alfreton Town Secure Place In Semi-Finals

Sam Ward
Victory over Buxton sees the Reds face the Gladiators in the semi-finals.

A fine double from James Clifton saw The Reds secure a hard-fought victory against Buxton. 

After a slow start to tie, the first chance fell to Alfreton. Richard Peniket collected the ball on the edge of the area before firing just past the post. 

The home side had another chance soon after. A quick free-kick saw Reece Styche advance but his long-range effort was smartly saved by Theo Roberts. 

Alfreton had another chance midway through the half. Another quick free-kick found its way to Josh Clackstone whose low cross was flicked on by Peniket whose effort was saved by Roberts.

Billy Heath’s side missed a big chance in the closing stages of the first half. Tom Allan floated a free-kick towards the back post, Luke Shiels beat the offside trap, but his header trickled past the post. Styche almost claimed the final touch but hesitated as it went wide. 

Buxton’s first chance of the game came the way of Oli Roberts. His 25-yard free-kick stung the palms of Sam Ramsbottom.

HALF TIME: Alfreton Town 0-0 Buxton

Alfreton took the lead shortly after the break. Curtis Bateson attacked down the right before laying the ball back to Clifton whose shot nestled into the bottom corner. 

The Reds nearly had two soon after. Platt advanced forward, with ease, but his fierce effort was tipped over by Roberts. 

Buxton had an opportunity to level midway through the second half. Jude Oyibo raced down the right but his effort was blocked by Nathan Hotte, as Alfreton looked to see out the remainder of the game.

Alfreton doubled their lead in emphatic fashion. Bateson darted towards the by-line before laying the ball back to Clifton, who fired an effort in off the post for his second of the game.

The Bucks had an opportunity to carve a way back into game but Kayde Coppin’s free-kick caused no problems for Sam Ramsbottom, drifting high and wide.

Platt almost found a third in the closing stages, but his low drive was comfortably saved by the Buxton keeper.

Alfreton Town held on for the remainder of the game and advanced to the semi-final of the cup where they will face Matlock Town.

FULL TIME: Alfreton Town 2-0 Buxton


Alfreton Town: 1. Ramsbottom; 2. Clackstone, 3. Allan, 4. Lynch, 5. Hotte, 6. Shiels ©, 7. Clifton, 8. Styche (12. Sinnott 77’), 9. Peniket (16. Hobson 50’), 10. Bateson (15. Chettle 87’), 11. Platt.

Subs: 12. Sinnott, 13. Nicholson, 14. Wilde, 15. Chettle, 16. Hobson

Buxton: 1. Roberts; 2. Meade, 3. Brown, 4. De Girolamo, 5. Roscoe, 6. Young, 7. Coppin, 8. Gee, 9. Omotola, 10. Hardy ©, 11. Roberts

Subs: 12. Hopkins, 14. Kilner, 15. Ennis, 16. McKenzie, 17. Oyibo.