Following a successful trial period, The FA are bringing in temporary dismissals, or sin-bins, from the start of the 2019/20 season.
Sin-bins will become mandatory for all leagues at Step 7 or below in the men’s game, Step 5 and below in the women’s game, and for all junior football leagues across the country.
The move will aim to reduce and put a stop to dissent received by referees on a regular basis, and the Derbyshire County FA will be providing ‘sin-bin training’ across the county to ensure that referees, teams and leagues are fully prepared for the start of the season.
Temporary dismissals (sin-bins) were first trialled across 31 leagues in the country during the 2017/18 season and survey results demonstrated an impressive impact.
The survey showed:
- A 38% reduction in dissent offences across all leagues.
- That 72% of players wanted to continue with sin-bins.
- That 77% of managers/coaches wanted to continue with sin-bins.
- That 84% of referees wanted to continue with sin-bins.
Following the results of the survey it was determined that the trial would continue with an additional 61 leagues for the 2018/19 season before coming mandatory for 19/20.
Adam Wing, Football Development Officer at the Derbyshire County FA, said: “I’m looking forward to the introduction of sin-bins – I think it will have a positive effect on games across our county.
“It’s important that steps continue to be made to ensure that football is fun, safe, and respectful for everyone involved, particularly in the youth game, and I think sin-bins will play a big role in that."
Key sin-bin information
- Players will be sent to the sin-bin if they are cautioned for dissent.
- Sin-bins only apply to players – not substitutes or coaching staff.
- Sin-bins will last for 10 minutes in 90 minute matches, 8 minutes in matches of any other length.
- All sin-bins will be reported by the referee but there will be no admin fee charged
The table below demonstrates the various processes for how dissent and sin-bins will be dealt with and distributed:
More information regarding temporary dismissal training will be released soon, but for any other details regarding sin-bins, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.