SCC Round of 16

Match Report: Mickleover Sports 2-4 Long Eaton United

Brad Cox
Long Eaton United eliminate last year’s Senior Challenge Cup finalists, Mickleover Sports FC, thanks to hat-trick hero, Niall Towle.

Towle put in a tremendous performance as he carried his side to the next round.

The hosts started the match brightly, with Jiri Boula putting Mickleover ahead after 16 minutes with a beautifully weighted effort from outside the box which curled past Jason White.

White was able to pick himself up and ultimately kept his side in the game, and made a fantastic double save in the 25th minute when Mickleover were pushing to double their lead.

Towle got his side back on level terms after 32 minutes, his right footed strike was perfectly placed in the bottom right corner to beat Nathan Broome.

Mickleover were then looking to retake the lead, however, White had other ideas - yet again, he came up with a huge stop to deny Nathan Modest.

A piece of good fortune came Long Eaton’s way in the 39th minute when Richard Batchelor’s goal was ruled offside.

Heading into half-time it was Mickleover that looked the better team, after dominating possession and forcing White into multiple saves.

It was shortly into the second half when Towle doubled his goal tally for the night - a shove in the box resulted in a penalty for Long Eaton.

Towle sent Broome the wrong way and gave the visitor’s a one goal lead.

There was little change to Mickleover’s style of play after going behind, Stuart Beavon had a brilliant opportunity when he was granted space and time, but his shot went wide.

A lack of creativity was becoming a reoccurring theme for the hosts which forced player manager, John McGrath, into bringing on Mason Warren to see if he could spark any change.

In the 70th minute, Cameron Hawkes was brought down in the area and referee, Gareth Davis, awarded the second penalty of the evening.

Towle stepped up for his hat-trick and smashed the ball down the middle with great confidence.

This would be Towle’s last kick of his clinical performance as he was then substituted for Kolodynski.

With the visitors two goals to the good, Mickleover’s Senior Challenge Cup run was coming to an end.

In the 80th minute, Rhys Dolan had a chance to make it four, but his audacious attempt ricocheted off the crossbar from great distance.

Substitute Kolodynski, sealed the deal for the visitors, a rapid counter saw Broome come off his line, and he lofted the ball over the keeper with ease to make it 1-4.

A consolation goal for Mickleover came in the 89th minute, Surafel the substitute got himself on the scoresheet, however, it didn’t count for much.

Long Eaton come away with a huge cup win and progress to the next round of the DCFA Senior Challenge Cup.